What To Do After An Accident

After a car or motor vehicle accident (MVA), immediately perform a self-assessment: How do you feel?

I think I am hurt

Do not exit your car and immediately call 9-1-1. Tell dispatch:

  1. you are in an accident
  2. you may be hurt, and
  3. if you need police, paramedics, or the fire department.

If you cannot exit your vehicle, or feel you may be seriously hurt, wait for help to arrive and speak to the paramedics. Paramedics should offer to take you to the hospital.

It is strongly recommended that you seek medical advice before you go home - see a doctor as soon as possible to assess your injuries. The hospital may run tests or take imaging (x-rays, MRI, CT Scan) to assess your injuries.

I do not think I am hurt and can safely exit my vehicle

Do not move your car from the scene until police arrive. If you can safely exit your vehicle, you should:

  1. Check on the other driver.
  2. Record or take a photo of the other person’s drivers licence and insurance information.
  3. Take pictures of the scene and the cars involved, if possible.

Contact our MVA Lawyers

Once it is safe to do so, contact one of our car accident lawyers who can walk you through what to do next, such as filing a car accident claim with your insurance.

We are more than happy to provide you with a free consultation about your Motor Vehicle Accident and charge no fees until your case settles or you win.