Must all Motor Vehicle Accidents be Reported to the Police?

Published on January 8, 2018

If you’ve just been involved in a motor vehicle accident, you may be wondering if the accident needs to be reported to the police.

Remember - even the best drivers get into accidents; to ensure that you don’t get into legal trouble, it’s important to be aware of the laws surrounding the reporting of motor vehicle accidents.

What Motor Vehicle Accidents Must Be Reported to the Police?

First and foremost, the laws surrounding the reporting of various motor vehicle accidents have been known to change, so it’s important to be aware of that.

By law, Ontario drivers are required to call the police if any of the following occurs:

Someone is injured in the motor vehicle accident - keep in mind that if someone is injured in an accident, it’s important to remain still as moving could aggravate the injury even further.

If the damage of all vehicles involved in the motor vehicle accident looks to exceed $2,000.  This rule was implemented in 2015; prior to this, drivers were required to report any damage that was over $1,000.

If you suspect that any of the drivers involved in the accident are guilty of breaking the law (for example, if you suspect he or she has been drinking or that the individual is under the influence of any other drugs).

Failure to report a motor vehicle accident that has met any of the above criteria can result in being charged with Leaving the Scene of an Accident.

Keep in mind, it is not always necessary to call the police following a collision.  If you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident where no one has been injured and the total cost of the damage appears to be less than $2,000, you can report the accident to a Collision Reporting Centre.

Collision Reporting Centres are still police facilities that are designed to help drivers report any motor vehicle accidents. The reporting centre will have you complete a police report and any damage to the vehicle will also be photographed.